Associate Professor Peter Gostomski
Fellow of the Institution of Chemical Engineers (London)
Chartered Engineer, Ph.D (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute)
M.S. (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute), B.S., Ch.E. (Penn State University)
Head of Department/Associate Professor
E530, Civil Mechanical
Phone: +64 3 364 2141 (direct)
Internal phone: 6141
I joined the department in 1998 after spending four years with the Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory (INEEL) in Idaho Falls, Idaho. It is part of the Department of Energy national laboratory system in the United States. While there I investigated the biological degradation of volatile hydrocarbons and other airborne contanimants using biofiltration.
I obtained my Ph.D. in 1993 under the supervision of Harry Bungay at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York. My thesis topic investigated the use of multivariable auxostats for the production of PHB (a biodegradable polymer). My M.S. investigated the hydrolysis of steam exploded cellulose by concentrated sulfuric acid.
My B.S in Chemical Engineering was obtained at Pennsylvania State University in 1985. After that I worked for two years at an acrylic sheet plant working on new product development.
Please visit my SPARK page for more extensive research information and a list of my recent publications
Collaborative or related research links
- Marc Deshusses Duke University (collaborative)
- Joe Devinny Univ. of Southern California (collaborative)
- SciTech Daily Review (great links to science stories)
- ESPN ("compliments" the The Press sports page)
- Detchanamurthy Swaminathan (Swami) - biofiltration,
- Ph.D. candidateAchinta Bordoloi - biofiltration,
- Ph.D. candidateYan Li (Lee) - microbial fuel cells
- Head of Department
- CAPE Safety Committee
- College of Engineering Management Team